450 SUTTER BUILDING
Proudly serving the Bay Area medical community since 1929, the 450 Sutter Building remains San Francisco’s premiere medical / professional building. It is well located in Union Square, just steps away from the Financial District, Nob Hill, Chinatown, and SOMA. This beautiful and elegant 26-story Art Deco masterpiece was designed by world famous San Francisco architect Timothy Pflueger and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- 450 Sutter was originally conceived by an eccentric dentist, Francis Edward Morgan Jr, who wanted an office building just for doctors and dentists.
- Famed San Francisco architect Timothy Pflueger and his firm designed the 450 Sutter Building. Pflueger chose ancient Mayan Culture as his inspiration, wanting to create an "American" style building not based on classical European Greco-Roman designs.
- The 450 Sutter Building officially opened on October 15th, 1929 as the 2nd tallest building in San Francisco and is believed to be the largest medical building in the world at the time. It was among the last major highrise buildings to be constructed in San Francisco until the postwar boom in the late 1950's.
- In August 1963, the 450 Sutter Building was purchased by Harold Schnitzer, the late Founder and Chairman of Harsch Investment Properties. Harsch is very proud to own and manage 450 Sutter and continually invests and modernizes the building.
- From 2007-2010, 450 Sutter underwent a massive Exterior Restoration Project. The project restored the building's terra cotta facade, replacing thousands of the original 1929 worn out tiles. The project also replaced over 2,000 original windows within tenant spaces, requiring almost all tenants in the building to be moved to a temporary suite while work was performed. The 3 year project was one of the largest building restorations in San Francisco history.